Search This Blog

Saturday 30 June 2012

HOT YOGA

On Wednesday, a friend and I tried heated yoga for the first time. (Heated yoga is an athletic style of yoga designed to sculpt, strengthen and open the body in a room that is heated to 30 degrees.) As much as I love going to the gym, it is so easy to become bored with the same classes or cardio routines...I knew it was time to try something new. I'd heard many good comments about heated or hot yoga so decided to give it a go, even though I was apprehensive. I am very energetic and struggle to sit still for long periods of time so was a bit nervous that stretching for 90minutes would bore me. Boy was I wrong!

I must admit, within the first ten minutes I leaned across to my friend Dani and said, "I don't think this is for me".  But because it was such a small room (and that Dani had given me a lift there) I couldn't leave. I am so glad I stayed because as I became more comfortable and confident, I enjoyed the stretches and challenges even more. Although I couldn't complete all the challenges, I am looking forward to attending heated yoga classes to improve and look forward to the day when I can do all stretches by name, without having to watch the person at the front for correct form.

What shocked me even more, is that I loved the meditation and relaxation at the end of the session. Normally my idea of torture would be to keep me seated cross-legged and silent for any length of time. However, with the amazing, inspirational and uplifting instrumental music that played in the background while we concentrated on breathing and releasing our positive energy into the universe, I felt completely calm.

It was a strange feeling as I left the room to come home. I felt so energetic yet so calm! I came home to a beautiful bowl of vegie soup, showered and went stright to bed feeling so empowered and satisfied. 

I would recommend hot yoga to anyone and everyone. Don't miss out on such an awesome experience just because you don't think it's for you. You might just surprise yourself and become addicted like me. I can't wait until next Wednesday to do it all again :)

Namaste



No comments:

Post a Comment